History

The Mississippi Law Journal was founded in 1928 under the leadership of Dean Thomas C. Kimbrough in agreement with the Mississippi Bar Association. When Dean Kimbrough became the Association’s president the following year, a strong relationship between the Journal and the state bar was cemented. That relationship continues today.

Click here to read more about the origins of the Mississippi Law Journal.

The Journal is funded and operated almost exclusively through student efforts. Each year the Journal publishes one issue in four books containing articles by legal scholars and practitioners, as well as pieces by student members.

In addition to its quarterly issues, the Journal publishes a weekly case briefing service that provides succinct synopses of the decisions of the Mississippi Supreme Court and Mississippi Court of Appeals, months before those opinions appear in regional reporters.